Women and girls are unsafe in Syria and Iraq. Nations must unite now and end this crime, See also “Volunteers needed for mission to Syria and Iraq“
Women and Girls are Daily Raped and Killed In Syria and Iraq.
As you read this, in Syria and Iraq, and in Syria there are horrific levels of sexual violence taking place.
Rape is a significant and disturbing feature of the Syrian civil war. Syrians who fled from their country to Lebanon and other nations have identified rape as a primary reason their families left. Many women and girls relay accounts of being attacked in public or in their homes, primarily by armed men. Many more are silent survivors of rape.
These rapes, sometimes by multiple perpetrators, often occur in front of family members. Women and girls are kidnapped, raped, tortured and killed. Because of the stigma and social norms around the “dishonor” that rape brings to women and girls and their families, Syrian survivors rarely report their rape. Survivors fear retribution by their assailants, being killed by “shamed” family members, or in the case of girls, being married off at an early age to ‘safeguard their honour’.
For survivors who manage to flee to other countries, there is a shortage of medical and counselling services to help them recover in the communities where they have settled and even there, challenges continue. Many women and girls face unsafe conditions in refugee camps as well as elevated levels of domestic violence.
- Women & Girls Daily Raped & Killed In Syria & Iraq. (Dec 2012 – Jan 22 2013)
- More Volunteers Needed (June 5, 2014)
- U.N. Plan To Counter Sex Crimes In War (July 11, 2014)
- Genocide Emergency – Yazidis (Aug 17, 2014)
- RINJ Is Building an ICC Case Against Each ISIL Rapist (Sep 3, 2014)
- Report A Rape Crime in a War Zone (Sep 11, 2014)
- https://rinj.org/documents/war-crime/ (Read Rome statute July 2002)
- The Plight of The Yazidi People
- Good News For Some Yazidi Women
- Women and Girls are Daily Raped and Killed In Syria.
- Emergency in Northern Iraq
- “Combattants Who Rape“
- “War-Crime Defined“
- The Plight of Yazidi Females in Nineveh Becoming Extreme (March 1, 2015)
- Islamic State Caliphate +Syria +Iraq +KRI = Failed States
- RINJ Foundation Says Iraq Failed To Protect Children – Yazidis (08/31/2015)
- https://rinj.org/documents/sinjar/ (RSAC-Sinjar Doc Repository)
- Pressing Need For USA and Iraq to Rejoin ICC